From my publisher Little Tiger Press
Permissions Policy for Online Book Readings
As we all adjust to new ways of living, working and learning, we recognise the need to be flexible in our approach to granting permission to those wishing to share our stories. We are keen to balance the needs of our reading community with protecting our authors’ and illustrators’ IP.
For our part, we will be populating our own YouTube, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter with videos of lots of our creators sharing their own stories, so please make sure you are keeping an eye on our channels for these, plus links to things our authors and illustrators are up to on their own channels.
To enable schools to continue with class shared-reading and story-times, Little Tiger is permitting educators to:
- share read-aloud videos, and display the book on closed educational platforms such as Google classroom or Dojo
- share read-aloud videos, and display the book via a YouTube channel, provided the link to that YouTube video is posted inside a closed educational platform or supplied directly to students i.e. via email, and the YouTube video is designated as “Unlisted” (not “Public”) when uploading
These videos may be hosted on the educational platform and/or YouTube (as “Unlisted”) until 30th September 2020, after which we request that they be removed from the educational platform and/or from YouTube.
To enable Booksellers, Librarians, Bloggers, Vloggers, Bookstagrammers who wish to provide a story time reading or other read-aloud experience for their users who are observing social distancing/home-schooling, Little Tiger is permitting these individuals to:
- share read-aloud videos, and display the book live, in real time, on social media platforms such as YouTube, Facebook Live, Twitter, and Instagram.
So that our authors and illustrators benefit from the free use of their IP, we would request that:
- author/illustrator and Little Tiger are tagged where the video is shared – this also helps us share your content with our followers
- author/illustrator and book title are mentioned in the video
- buy links for the book are included in posts where possible
We would prefer that these videos are not maintained in the archive of the social media platform. These platforms automatically archive live events by default, when your event has concluded, please locate the recorded live video in your account (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) and delete it ASAP and no later than 30th September 2020.
Please notify us of any readings via email: email@example.com with the following information:
- Name and address of physical institution (school, library, bookshop) or web/profile link (blog, vlog, Instagram)
- Title, author, illustrator of book being read
- Detail of how the reading is being shared, please include links where appropriate
We are granting this open permission for free use of the readings. If you wish to in any way monetise recordings of Little Tiger books you will need to seek specific permission for that purpose, please email firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
Thank you for providing entertainment, education and escapism for children and families at this difficult time and for choosing to share a Little Tiger book in doing so.